Effective January 1, 2016 Ontario announced government regulations concerning a Winter Tire Discount.
FAQ’s o the Winter Tire Discount:
• The Winter Tire Discount is effective January 1, 2016 for all insurers including Facility Association
• Discounts range from 2-5 percent
• The discount is available on New business on or after January 1, 2016 and on renewals on or after January 1, 2016. Some insurers may however offer the discount mid policy term.
• All Season tires or tires that remain on your vehicle all year round that have a winter designation are not tires specifically for winter and do not qualify for the discount. Only tires designated as Winter tires are eligible for the Winter Tire Discount.
• While Insurer’s may offer the discount on the “honour system” it is recommended that you provide proof so that we can document your file with either:
– A purchase/installation receipt
– Photo showing the tires installed on the vehicle.
• If the tires are taken off in April and re-installed in November, no action is required however, if you decide to no longer use winter tires in the winter driving season, please advise as we will need to remove the discount.
• Depending on the insurer, the discount usually ends after a time limit to recognize tread wear over time.
Note: this document is provided for informational purposes only. It does not, and is not intended to provide legal, technical or other professional advice. At all times consult the actual insurance policy for any terms or conditions that apply.